Jesse Lindlbauer is the namesake for the SJ5K. The run was created as a fundraiser after Jesse, then a student at Plymouth-Canton Educational Park, had a near fatal brain injury. 88.1 the Park’s Operations Manager, Anna Brandl, spoke with Jesse and his parents, Barb and David, about the history of the run and seeing it go virtual this year.
The Virtual SJ5K kicks off on Sunday May 3, at 8:00 a.m. with their opening ceremony, broadcast live on 88.1 the Park. The annual run benefits five families in our community and has raised over $500,000 over the past nine years. The race is directed by students at Plymouth-Canton Educational Park but they have a team of dedicated adult and alumni advisors. 88.1 the Park Operations Manager, Anna Brandl, spoke with six of the alums for this special edition of Community Focus. The alums include:
- Madeline Viergutz: 2013 graduate and former SJ5K Student Coordinator; currently serves on the SJ5K Foundation board and leads the Legacy Family Outreach committee
- Shannon Perry: 2014 graduate and former SJ5K Student Lead Coordinator
- Melissa Parent: 2015 graduate and former SJ5K student leadership committee member; currently supporting the SJ5K Foundation as the alumni liaison to rally alumni engagement
- Abbey Jansen: 2017 graduate and former SJ5K Student Lead Coordinator
- Kirsti Beaudoin: 2017 graduate and former SJ5K student leadership committee member
- Emily Britton: 2019 graduate and former SJ5K student leadership committee member
The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, in a partnership with Eastern Market, The Belle Isle Conservancy, Downtown Detroit Partnership and the City of Detroit, has released an online coloring book for kids and families in the community. The coloring book spotlights parks throughout the city. Bill Keith spoke with Detroit Riverfront Conservancy President and CEO, Mark Wallace, about this project.
The SJ5K will move forward this year by going virtual. The run/walk has raised over $500,000 for 40 families in Canton and Plymouth. This year the SJ5K is celebrating it’s 10th anniversary. 88.1 the Park’s Operations Manager, Anna Brandl, spoke with SJ5K Founder, Tommy Halewicz, about the history of the run and the move to a virtual format.
88.1 the Park’s Station Manager talks with Salem Social Studies Teacher, Darrin Silvester, about the fire of 1916 that took down the school in downtown Plymouth. The fire was 104 years ago this week. The community rallied together and had kids back in class within a week, and the building was rebuilt within 18 months.